Monday 18 June 2012

Improvement Works

Today I took a photograph of a poster displayed on a First Great Western train. It was slightly blurred, and poorly-framed – the photograph that is, not the poster - because I didn’t want the other passengers of the two-o-clock to London Paddington to know that I was taking a photograph of a poster displayed on a First Great Western train.




It read
“IMPROVEMENT WORKS IN THE READING AREA
Customers are advised that improvement works are scheduled to take place at Reading Station and the surrounding area until 2015”

Improvement works? As opposed to what? Damaging works? I don’t think it’s normal for builders to declare brazenly “Yes, I think we’ll rip out the children’s play area and replace it with a cess pit, remove all the lampposts, and install a leaky municipal oil rig.”

I also quite like the implication that Reading’s just going to stop trying in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment