Sunday 12 April 2020

Shall I compare thee?



Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate
And less filled with mosquitoes;
Thou contain fewer picnics
And thou art much sweatier.

Thou lookst better in swimwear
Although
In truth
I have not seen a summer’s day in swimwear.

For this to be a fair comparison
We shoulds’t deck nature in its kind.
Drape each darling bud of May
in lycra
Halter the necks of swaying blooms
With polka-dot triangles
And slather each ripen’ning bud
In Factor 50.
Glue tiny Raybans to the faces of wasps
And miniature flip-flops to the foot of each passing ant.

In truth
I think this sounds like quite a lot of work
And I have lost faith in the comparison.
Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
No.
No I shall not.

No comments:

Post a Comment